Experience Level: Beginner
Contact Hours: 14
In this two-day course, participants will learn trauma informed care and empowerment of the sexual assault survivor. This course was developed and is taught by Lauren Mansell, DPT, CLT, PRPC, CYT who worked in counseling and advocacy for sexual assault survivors prior to becoming a physical therapist. Lauren also brings her experience as a 2017 Fellow of the Chicago Trauma Collective to teach trauma informed care to medical providers.
Special considerations of trauma within pelvic, oncological and lymphedema patient populations will be explored. Additionally, the effects of trauma on the medical provider will be discussed and along with techniques to prevent compassion fatigue. This course includes Trauma Informed Yoga lab work and break out groups to facilitate learning. Upon completion of the course, the practitioners will be able to bring their increased awareness of trauma to holistic treatment of patients with pelvic pain, sexual dysfunction, bowel dysfunction and/or bladder dysfunction.
Skills and content covered are to increase trauma awareness and the ability to provide appropriate medical care for trauma survivors. This course will NOT prepare a practitioner for any type of counseling or mental health services.
Trauma Informed Care 1 (1hr 5 mins)
8:00 Introductions and group activity
8:00 Day 1 review/questions/concerns
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
Attending a remote course is easy and safe, and you can do it entirely from the security and comfort of your own home or clinic without having to find a lab partner.
Important thing to note:
- Our policy for applying for continuing education credit for remote courses differs from that of our in-person and satellite lab courses. Read the specific language of the policy here. Depending on the state in which you practice, you may need to submit your own application to your state board or approving body should you wish that it be approved for continuing education credit in your state.
- To attend a remote Herman & Wallace course, registrants will need Zoom video conferencing software. This is a requirement. One can create an account and download the software to their computer at https://zoom.us/
- We use the Pacific Time Zone for all of our remote course start and end times (this is not the case for in-person and satellite lab locations). Please make a note of this and set your calendar accordingly.
- A Zoom account is free to create. Before the meeting, we recommend having a practice Zoom session with a friend or colleague so you can test your microphone, video, and internet connection. You can participate in any remote course from the comfort of your home, but will need a stable internet connection in order to participate. We recommend downloading the software and practicing a call with a friend or colleague prior to your course with us. Zoom also offers video tutorials on their website at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206618765-Zoom-Video-Tutorials.
- Still have questions about Remote Courses? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions on Remote Courses
Lauren Mansell DPT, CLT, PRPC
Lauren received her Doctor of Physical Therapy degree from Governors State University and a Bachelor's Degree in psychology and sociology from Northwestern University. Prior to becoming a physical therapist, Lauren counseled suicidal and homicidal SES at-risk youth who had survived sexual violence. Lauren was certified as a medical and legal advocate for sexual assault survivors in 1999 and has advocated for over 130 sexual assault survivors of all ages in the ED. Lauren's physical therapy specialty certifications include Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT), Pelvic Rehabilitation Professional Certificate (PRPC), and Certified Yoga Therapist (CYT). She is a board member of Chicagoland Pelvic Floor Research Consortium, American Physical Therapy Association Section of Women's Health and Section of Oncology.
As adjunct faculty, Lauren teaches Special Topics: Pelvic Rehabilitation Physical Therapy at Governors State University. Lauren works at the University of Chicago providing pelvic rehabilitation, lymphedema, and oncological physical therapy within Therapy Services and the Center of Supportive Oncology. She treats pelvic pain, urinary incontinence, bowel dysfunction, sexual dysfunction, lymphedema, lymph node transfer/bypass, stem cell transplant, and bowel/bladder/sexual/functional concerns of patients undergoing HIPEC (hyperthermal intraperitoneal chemotherapy). Lauren is a 2017 Fellow of the Chicago Trauma Collective. As a trauma-sensitive practitioner, her goal is to empower patients to create meaningful, healthful lifestyle changes to improve their physiology and wellness.
Attention: We are unable to offer "retro-active" discounts (i.e. applying a discount to a transaction after the transaction takes place), so if you are interested in exploring discount options and you are unsure if your transactions is eligible for a discount, please contact us to inquire.
This 10% discount is available for a single registrant who wishes to enroll in 3 or more courses, and pay in one transaction. Registrants wishing to enroll in 5 or more courses should contact us for a customized quote. We can also apply this discount if 2 therapists from a single clinic/hospital enroll in 3 or more courses (ie Registrant A enrolls in Course X and Course Y, Registrant B enrolls in Course X, and Registrants A and B both work at Clinic Z). This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts. Registration and payment must be received at the same time in one credit card payment, one check or one envelop with multiple checks. This type of registration cannot be completed online, if you are wishing to receive the Multi-Course discount please call or email us directly for assistance.
This discount is available for a group of three or more registrants, who all work at the same clinic/hospital, enroll in a single course, and pay in a single transaction or mail in multiple checks in a single envelope. This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts.
Groups of 3-5 receive a 10% discount off the combined price of their group's registrations.
Groups of 6 or more should call or Contact Us so that we can properly create an invoice for your registration.
This 10% discount is available to current students who have yet to earn a license to practice at the time of course registration. This discount is not available to those therapists who have previously held a license, and are currently enrolled in a doctoral, or other post-graduate, program. This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts.
To get this discount when checking out online, use the code STUDENT2022 for courses scheduled for 2022, and use the code STUDENT2023 for courses scheduled for 2023. (Note, this code is only valid for non-licensed students. The H&W admin team will verify that registrants signed up with this code are, indeed, current students prior to their attendance of the course).
Any therapist who has already taken a Herman & Wallace course will earn a $50.00 "referral credit" if:
1. A therapist who has never taken a Herman & Wallace course successfully registers for his or her first course(s); AND
2. In the registration process, the first-time registrant gives the name and clinic/hospital of the therapist who referred them to Herman & Wallace.
A therapist who has earned a $50.00 "referral credit" may use this credit toward any course that is eligible for a "referral discount".
Guest Blogger Credit/Discount
Any therapist who completes a qualifying guest blog post on the Herman & Wallace blog will earn a $50.00 "guest blogger credit". This credit may be applied toward any course.